Thursday, August 11, 2011

Who do We Report the Police to?




The strength of the institutions in a country ultimately determines the growth and development of the country. If the current image and attitude of the police in Nigeria is in anyway a mirror of our future; perhaps it is high time we began to think of relocating.

Yesterday, I took a bike from Iyana Oworo (in Lagos) through Bariga to Fola Agoro a distance of less than 4 km and met 4 police check points. Ordinarily; one should be happy that security in his area has been tightened, however, I realized that the objective of the check points was not to nip crime in the bud. All the policemen were doing was extorting money from commercial bus drivers and motorcyclists.

Not once did they attempt to search the bag I was carrying. My motorcyclist ended up paying 50naira per checkpoint making 200naira even though he had charged me 130naira for the trip. If such case was reported or an incident occurred as a result of this ignoble exercise by the Police, my favorite Police PRO Mr. Frank Mba would have said something like this: “in the police log book only one or at most two of the check points exit”.

Who do we report the police to? One thing was apparent, a few of the officers were also “high in spirits”. They were far from courteous in their extortion business. I also noticed little resistance from the bike men and bus operators. That something has gone on for so long does not make it right. Longevity does not equal legality.

I challenge my police brothers to pick up okada business if they feel it is that lucrative. It is not an excuse to say they are poorly paid. After all nothing stops them from resigning and become a bus operator.

The government and the police management may perhaps not have the political will and moral conscience to fight this anomaly. I challenge the transport union to rise up and fight this menace. Enough is enough.

@ Adeosun Oluyemi Theophilus



No comments: