Friday, April 06, 2012

I Choose to Be A Farmer






People working on the biggest problems are compensated in the biggest ways. I don't mean this in a strict financial sense, but in a deeply human sense.

These words jump at me. Big compensation, I would love that.

Children typically like to inherit their parent’s dynasty. Oil companies, Telecom firms, Banks etc. Usually, they are hold management positions while their parents are alive going to work probably daily and learning the ropes of the business. However in the farm settlements, this is not so.

Enlightened Farmers’ children don’t accompany their parents to the farm. Recently, 2 farms were sold around the one i have interest and the main reason was that the owners were old and non of their children was interested.

Will that have been their attitude if their father was an oil baron or a Bank CEO?

I was reaching a group of 100 teenagers recently and asked how many of them would like to be framers and teachers. Not one soul raised a hand while almost all hands were raised when profession such as Law, Medicine, Accounting, Pharmacy, etc.

This meeting was taking place in a small town of predominant farmers. I told my students that “who will teach their children when they eventually have one? I know that somehow some people will be teachers because they may have no better options but is there hope for our Agricultural industry tomorrow?

I asked if any of them eat that morning. To which they all responded that they took breakfast. Are they going to have food to eat in 20 years time since none of them will be farmers?

I want to be a farmer. I have discovered a big problem I can position myself to solve. Yes I want to put food on the tables of the teenagers who would have turned adults, so also their offspring.
What problems do you want to solve?

No comments: