Friday, July 22, 2011

I am Nigeria



by Adeosun Oluyemi Theophilus

I am 6ft 7 inches tall. At least head and shoulders taller than the average man. Everywhere I go; people cannot resist the temptation of staring at me. Some even go the extra mile of making comments about me. How tall are? Do you play basket ball? Are your parents tall etc. Children ask. Uncle why are you this tall. Some are negative or taken aback. They say you are too tall. Others say how tall is your wife? Comments and questions never cease about my height.

I have received many favors because of it. It opens doors of relationship and business development. Yes my height is outstanding. It also has much cost. Yea, imagine tailors charging extra cost, not been able to sit in a commercial bus, haven to bend down when entering rooms or hit your head against the panel. So many associated inconveniences attached to my great height.

Yet, in spite of it all, I love me. I am proud to be me. I won’t like to be nobody else.

I recall when I was ashamed of my height. I dare not enter a lecture room from the front out of shame that I will be geared at. That was a long time ago. I encountered some literature that told me I was great, I was special, if I like myself other people will like me, if I am proud of myself, other people will respect me. Then I embraced self development, things turned around for me.

I am Nigeria. Love me, hate me, and embrace me. I am not what you think I am. No not at all. I am not a 419 or fraud (97% of my inhabitants are honest). I am neither poor nor despondent. I am not at the mercy of other nations. I am free and adding value to the world. I provide the largest troupe in Africa to peace keeping. I send relief materials to countries in distress. I was there for Haiti. I was there for South Africa back then. I have potentials. In 15 years to come I will have produced 10 Nobel Laurels.

I am great. I produced the MD of World Bank; I have produced men who worked at the highest echelon of multinational corporations like Meril Lynch etc. I will yet do more. I am not asking you for a chance. I am creating it. I am here to stay.
I am capable not only of solving my problems but also to solve for the rest of the world. Do you need manpower, come here for it. Do your brainpower, come here for it. Do you need integrity, this is its domicile.

I am a giant, Nigeria is the giant of Africa, I am Nigeria.

No comments: